Monday, August 10, 2015

First Impressions: Last, Mrs. Cop, Yong Pal

It is once again time for another crop of dramas, and since it's summer the action dramas are almost nonstop. I have yet to see an action drama that I didn't like, but the jury is still out on three of the newest action packed k-dramas.


File:Last-p1.jpg
photo credit: asianwiki.com
Last is about Jang Tae Ho, a stock manipulator who becomes homeless after a deal goes horribly wrong. So far I've only seen two episodes but I'm already on the edge of my seat dying to know what will happen next. In just two episodes Jang Tae Ho has been murdered, come back to life, and is well on his way to becoming a crime boss among homeless men. If that's not intriguing enough for you then let me tell you about Kwak Ham Seung played by Lee Bum Soo. His character holds the most mysteries in my opinion. How'd he become like the king of homeless people? I really need to know how one makes something like that happen. There are so many questions but I think the most exciting idea from the show is the fact that there is hope in the bleakest of situations. We get to see how one man does what he can to turn his life back around. Of course, I don't think any of it will be legal, but it will be thrilling.

File:Mrs. Cop-p1.jpg
photo credit: asianwiki.com
Mrs. Cop is about Choi Young Jin, a female detective and single mom. I am assuming that the show will be about balancing life as a tough cop and life as a sweet mom. Already we see that Choi Young Jin has a hard time actually balancing the two roles and frequently chooses cop over mom. Although this is a very familiar concept it seems that it will definitely be one worth watching as we've already seen how much more focused on cop work than mom work the main character is. What I am hoping from the show it that it lacks as many cliches as possible. The whole woman-should-be-at-home-taking-care-of-her-child thing isn't wrong but this woman is a single mom, if she doesn't do her job then she really won't be able to take care of her daughter. So far, I've only seen one episode and from what I can see there is another theme that will be more impactful: life of a cop vs life as a father/husband/mother/wife, etc. I think that even though the show will mostly be focusing on Choi Young Jin's journey it will not neglect the other members and their journeys for balance as well. I am optimistic that the show's theme will be well written and I'm confident that it will be well acted.

File:Yong-Pal-p2.jpg
photo credit: asianwiki.com
Yong Pal is about Kim Tae Hyun, a young surgeon who tries to make money to take care of his sister any way he can, including operating on gangsters outside of the hospital. So far, I love this show. It has thoughtful action, snippets of comedy, and of course lots of hospital scenes (I don't know where my preference for medical dramas is coming from these days.) In the first two episodes, the writers and actors have managed to capture my attention and I am so excited for the continuation of the show. The only thing I am not understanding at this point is Kim Tae Hee's role, but I am sure that will come with more episodes. I think the thing I like most about this show is Joo Won playing the genius surgeon who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, who seems cold on the outside but is actually very thoughtful, and who is cocky and arrogant but not afraid to beg when need be. He just one of those actors that you look forward to watching. I've only seen him in four other productions and in each one he's been someone different. That type of acting prowess is hard to come by these days so even if it's a commercial, if Joo Won's in it I will be watching it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment